Tuesday, September 1, 2009

HELP!!!

Some of you may know that I've been serving in the nursery in my ward for the past year. When we first got that calling I wasn't so sure I would like it because we just moved back to Utah and didn't know anyone and I had a brand new baby to take care of and of course the list goes on of why I didn't think it was the right calling I wanted. Well, after a few months my baby started getting older and I started to get to know more people around the neighborhood and really started to LOVE nursery. It was actually the perfect calling because my baby pretty much fit right in and played with the toys and I got to have my husband there with me!

I just absolutely fell in love with the nursery kids and I loved watching them each Sunday learn and grow. It was so fun to see how all the little girls would each pick a baby doll and a blanket and bottle and rock the baby. Of course the boys loved the trucks and tool set and yes, even the baby dolls! Those little children are so fun to be around and I loved watching them smile and even cry.

Well, unfortunately they couldn't leave me in the nursery forever. I just about cried when they called me in to give me a new calling. My new calling is to play the piano in primary, which I have done before and I love. However, it has been a whole year since I even looked at the piano and I am really not that great anyway. When I looked at the songs for the program (which is in 2 months) they are some of the hardest songs in the Children's songbook!!! I don't have the advantage of having the whole year to practice for the program since I just got called. I kept thinking to myself, why couldn't they just leave me in nursery???

So, I pretty much made a fool of myself the first Sunday I played in primary but I thought the kids don't really care anyway. They sing so loud that you can barely hear the piano anyway. But, I know that won't be the case when it comes time for the program and the whole ward has to hear me play and the kids don't sing near as loud because they are nervous. So I've been spending quite a bit of time these days at the piano. At least my kids like to sit by me while I practice and help me!!

Okay, so you're probably wondering why I titled this post HELP!!! Well, here is where I really need the help. I thought one of the benefits of moving away from Missouri was so I could finally go back to having only one calling at a time. Not anymore!!! They called Randy and I in to give Randy a calling and what did they do? They gave me another one!!! Randy is the new Cub Scout Master and I was asked to be the Committe Chair Leader.

I knew that with having two boys I would adventually have to be in scouts but I had no idea that it would come this soon!!! I know absolutely nothing about scouts!!! When I was told I'm in charge of planning pack meetings I said to myself, what on earth is pack meeting!!!! Of course I've heard of pack meeting before but only when being announced when it would be, not what it is!!! So here is my big HELP!!!!! If any of you reading this knows anything at all about pack meeting, I would gladly accept any advice!!!

6 comments:

Di said...

Don't stress about primary-you did fine Sunday and I'm not at all worried about how you'll be in 2 months- I have faith in you! And we won't care if you just do top-hand either :D As for pack meeting- well I'll tell you everything I picked up while Tom was Cubmaster, rule #1 is don't make it too complicated and have fun!

Nina said...

I have a few books that my mom gave me when they were doing scouts. You are welcome to them but I am guessing these days you can find just as much on sugerdoodle or some other website. good luck! That really does sound intimidating to me.

Haiku Amy said...

I don't know much about pack meeting myself, except there is a monthly theme. So there is usually a lesson and activities that have to do with the monthly theme. Then of course the boys present the colors (flags) and you give out awards for the boys that have completed stuff. Then there is treats and you say prayer and go home. I'll try to get more info for you. Good luck!

Sarah B said...

Run!! Just kidding. Dave loved being Cub Master and as the Asst. Cub Master I just did behind the scene stuff. I was fine planning stuff as long as I didn't have to conduct pack meeting and do all of the silly stuff that goes with scouts. It wasn't so bad.

Me said...

You will do fine on the piano!! It's the kids they'll focus on anyway! When I have to play hard songs I "fake it" and skip some of the notes that don't matter, or play only some of the notes in the bottom hand. You can do it! You can do scouts too! (although that is one calling I would dread too!)

Ashley DeMille said...

Good luck with scouts! And don't worry about the piano. You did great on Sunday! I was actually thinking, Wow I didn't know she knew how to play so well. I have been trying to practice those songs too and you are so much better than I'll ever be! You'll do great! Oh and the whole scout thing. Can't help you there. I did have 5 brothers that did it but I never paid one bit of attention to it!