Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Random thoughts

Okay, so not much going around here lately except I've finally been practicing the piano... yuck! I thought after I quit piano lessons I would magically be GREAT at playing and I wouldn't have to practice any more. Couldn't be farther from the truth....I have practiced for two hours on one song and I'm still struggling.

I've also been stressing about pack meeting on Thursday. But, not stressing enough to actually start doing anything about it. Maybe tomorrow I'll kick it into gear and get started with everything that needs to be done. By the way, thanks to all those who have given some advice and help. I think I just need to dive in and get started but I'm just being a big fat procrastinator.

Randy has been studying all weekend long for his test tonight. We decided to go to Lagoon on Saturday so he could have the house quiet for some studying. It was pretty fun but really HOT and CROWDED. It was employee Lagoon day for some pretty big companies so we didn't ride too many rides because of the long lines.

The highlight of the weekend was when Rayden decided he wanted to use his own money to buy his very own newspaper from the little stand outside Denny's. We were laughing hysterically when he grabbed his wallet and ran off so excited that he was going to buy a newspaper. What was even more funny was how he carried it around all weekend like it was his own little baby. He had it on his lap the whole car ride home late Saturday night. Even when we pulled into the driveway at midnight and he was half asleep he had to have his newspaper with him! He even had daddy read him the funnies instead of his story books at bed time.

I think he was just so proud that he used his own money from his wallet that he didn't even care what it was. We are trying to teach him the importance of money and it hasn't been easy but I think he is starting to understand a little bit. He is starting to save his money and we try to make it so that he has to pay for all of his toys (except birthday and christmas, of course) so he will treat them nice and take care of them. I just got so tired of every time at the store hearing him cry and throw a fit because he wanted a toy. It was getting to the point that I couldn't even take him to the store anymore. Not because I gave in, but because I DIDN'T. He would cry and scream and tell me that he hated me. It was horrible. So now when he cries, I just tell him that he needs to bring his money to the store if he wants a toy and he can only get the toys that he has enough money for. I guess it has worked for now. We'll see how long it lasts!!!

4 comments:

Sarah Jimenez said...

What a cute story about Rayden and his newpaper! I am in cub scouts too! I have an easier roll though- the assistant den leader to the Bears. I have only been in there about a month, and it's been pretty fun. We have our pack meeting tomorrow night. We do monthly roundtables with our whole region and they introduce us a theme- this months is a jungle theme- on the utahscouts.org website there are ideas there too- the thought us a lot of fun games and activities-skit, etc. and a cool snack all in line, so check that site out and let me know if you need more help! Good luck! You'll do great!

Nina said...

What a cute little boy! You can teach children. You have him understanding money, and caring for his toys. You are a natural ...even if you don't envy my job.

Mat and Brooke said...

You are wonderful to accept those callings, even though they take so much "home" time with planning and practicing and such. Being a member of the church is a marvelous blessing, but it doesn't all come without paying a price. :) We wouldn't be a well-functioning church without people like you to accept and carry out callings. Because the truth is, they're callings from the Lord and he will help us fulfill them if we give it our best shot, right? I have to remind myself of this all the time.

I love the story about Rayden, too! It's amazing how children learn to appreciate things that they have to earn. I've noticed the same things with my kids. It's such hard work teaching them the value of working hard to earn what they want and need, but worth every minute of it in the end. ;)

Di said...

Love the newspaper pride- and the idea of making him buy all the toys- I need to do something like that- it would probably cut down on the amount of toys around here too....
ps- I heard pack mtg was great :D