Friday, August 28, 2009

Remind me again why I wanted to be a mom

Okay, so Wednesday night Rayden caught the stomach flu and I was completely amazed how he actually ran to the toilet and started....well you know what happens next. I got him a bucket and put him in bed and he continued to puke in the bucket a few more times before falling a sleep. I kept thinking all night how nice it was that I didn't have to clean anything up because he is old enough now to realize when he feels the urge to run to the bathroom.

Well, he seemed to be feeling better the whole next day, even though he didn't eat much and I thought we were over this thing. This morning he just laid on the couch and didn't want to eat breakfast so I thought he was still a little sick. When I asked him if he felt okay he just said that he was tired. Moments later I hear him yell, "Mom I need a bucket!" I dashed into the kitchen and grabbed the bucket as quick as I could and just about tripped over a million things as I went rushing back to him on the couch. I was dreading having to clean up throw-up, especially on my mother-in-law's WHITE CARPET.

Thankfully, I made it just in time! I was thinking yet again how wonderful it is to have such a grown up little boy and how fortunate I was not to have to clean anything up.
Little did I know....Ryker had a totally different agenda, as usual! I put him down for his afternoon nap and was enjoying a little quiet time of my own just reading my book when I hear this scream coming from his sleep area. Instantly I knew what had happened and I dreaded going to face a mess. Just as I thought, throw-up all over in the crib. Whew, at least not on the carpet. I rushed Ryker into the bathroom and washed him up and then bundled all the crib sheets together and threw it all in the washer. Lucked out again!!!

As I grabbed a new blanket and attempted to rock him back to sleep....yep you guessed it, throw-up ALL OVER ME!!!! I was completely covered in a matter of seconds! I just stood there frozen, holding a screaming baby and not knowing what on earth to do. I didn't dare move for fear of seeing or smelling the mess. After a few seconds later I decided that I had to do something so I ran into the bathroom with baby in tow. As I carefully peeled my clothes off I was hating myself for thinking I had it so easy the day before. Luckily, the washer hadn't been going too long from the previous mess so I threw all the clothes in once again and went to look at how much I was going to have to clean up on the floor. Luckily, most of the throw-up landed on me and I only had to clean a little bit off the chair. Whew, none on the carpet.

So, here I sit, with my baby wrapped in towels, and towels laying all over the floor and I feel so helpless for the poor little guy. There isn't anything I can do for him and I feel terrible that he is sick. And I just fear that I am next on the hit list of getting the bug and nothing is worse than trying to take care of children while being sick. I think mother's should be immune from sickness and disease. One of the wonderful joy's of being a mother I guess.

5 comments:

Nina said...

That sounds awful :( I hope everyone is healthy soon.

Sarah Jimenez said...

I am sorry! I hope your boys are feeling better and that you avoided it. I agree; mother's should be immune to sickness- wouldn't that be nice?

Mat and Brooke said...

Yuck! Yucky yucky yuck! So many hidden joys in the calling of motherhood...:) That story reminded me of a vacation my little family took to Disneyland last year. We were on the road when Savanna threw up IN MY HANDS in the middle of nowhere. I was in my first trimester of pregnancy (so nauseous, you know), and had to drive for at least fifteen minutes with barf in my hands before we got to the nearest gas station. I ran in there, throw up in my cup-shaped hands, asked where the restroom was, and they said THEY DIDN'T HAVE ONE!!! Can you believe it?!? We eventually found a place with a bathroom, and yes, I did survive...as we all do :) Hope your family is feeling all better!

Barbara said...

Oh Brooke, that would be awful!! There is nothing worse than being pregnant and having to smell puke, let alone hold it in your hand!!! But I guess it makes a good story later on right!

Me said...

I totally agree, mommy's should NOT have to get sick, too. It's been a long time since my kids have thrown up, I am knocking on wood!! It is NOT fun!!