Sunday, January 17, 2010

Mediocre

Do you ever just wish you were absolutely fabulous and amazing at something? Or maybe you can't relate and don't have to wish because you already are! For me, I feel that I am good at lots of different things and I consider myself pretty blessed to be able to be a well rounded person in many areas. However, I have really been thinking a lot lately about all my different talents and about all the things I have done in my past. As I think back over the last ten years of my life it seems like I have tried many, many, many different things and I get pretty good at it and then I just hit this plateau and I just can't seem to get past that mediocre mark and into the amazing category!!!

For example, I played softball in grade school and jr. high and I always thought I was pretty good. I did great at the position I played and I had a good understanding of the game and I could think quick and make pretty good plays, but I just couldn't quite bat very well and I think that is what kept me from playing any further. So then I played the piano and I thought I was an okay pianist but I just got to this certain level and couldn't quite play any better no matter how hard I would practiced, so I quit lessons. Then I played the clarinet and I was one of the top of my class for a few years until I got to a certain point, or my mediocre plateau I like to call it, and I just couldn't excel anymore. So I went on to something else, and something else after that, and the cycle just keeps going!!!!

Well, I have really noticed lately how a lot of people I am surrounded by are just AMAZING at certain things, whether it be playing the piano, singing, being creative, cooking or just having an amazing personality that everyone wants to be around. What is it that makes these people just amazing at what they do? I mean really amazing!!! I've thought and thought and thought about it and I just really wish I could figure out how to get past my mediocre plateau with at least one thing in my life so I could say, I am REALLY amazing at something!!! I guess I'll just have to keep trying different things until I find that thing that I am REALLY AMAZING at!!! One good thing about being on my mediocre plateua, I'm always trying new things, meeting new people, and having lots of adventures a long the way.

So for all you mediocre people out there....enjoy the adventure, it builds character (as my mom always says)!

3 comments:

Mat and Brooke said...

I have experienced a lot of those same kinds of feelings at times. But today in relief society, the teacher talked about finding out what our God-given gifts and talents are through our Patriarchal Blessings. I thought about mine in those moments and realized that talents don't have to be things that people label, like: amazing pianist, super-duper crafty lady, beautiful dancer, or delicious cook. Talents can be as simple and wonderful as becoming a dedicated visiting teacher, a loyal friend, or a hard-working and loving wife and mother. Talents that are especially worth cultivating are the ones that improve your life as well as the lives of others. I've decided to start working on cultivating some of the gifts that are maybe not commendable to everyone around me, but ones that are commendable to God.

...Besides, the people who ARE fabulous at something need an audience. I mean, someone's got to be the cheerleader! I've found I'm becoming quite good at that. :) In fact, it's probably about time I picked up a uniform for myself! ;)

Nina said...

I know quite a few guys in high school that were amazed by you. You are amazingly cute! ...the way you talk, your fashion, your talent at doing your beautiful hair and of course your dainty little mannerisms. Plus your an amazing friend, then and now! I am amazed at your baking skills, and that even though you can cook so many treats, you manage to keep yourself in such good shape. Plus being well rounded is quite amazing too!
I think it is easy to look at others in awe of their talents and accomplishments, but not as easy to look at ourselves that way. I am sure your husband and children could differently add to that list.

Di said...

You're so funny! And I'm sure totally underestimating yourself as well; seriously, I think I would drop from exhaustion if I tried to live your life! I don't know how you do it! I understand what you're saying though, and I often feel the same- but one thing I KNOW you're way past your plateau- you're always look AMAZING!