Thursday, July 14, 2011

What's in a name?

Okay.....time to get serious!!!! I have approximately 4 weeks left until this little baby joins our family and I still do not have any names picked out!!!!! I have a couple that I think I might like, but either it sounds good only as a middle name or I can't seem to find a middle name to go with a first name. And really I don't love anything I have come up with yet! Every time I ask people for suggestions, nothing they suggest really pops out. I keep thinking I'll know when I hear it but I just haven't heard the right name yet. With my boys it just seemed so easy. Well, actually it took awhile for Rayden to grow on me but my husband was determined that the baby would be named Rayden if it were a boy. I realized right then that the baby was most likely going to be a boy and that I better just get used to the name. Turns out I ended up loving the name! With Ryker we actually found out what we were having and the moment my sister suggested Ryker we just knew that we loved it!
So why am I having such a hard time this go around? Why is it so difficult to just pick a name? Part of me thinks I should pick a family name, but they are all so boring or already been used by a ton of people already. I also don't want a name that so common that every other person is named. You can't just have a Rayden and a Ryker and then just throw in a Bob or a Jim or an Emily or Ashley (no offense if that is your name or your kids). I also thought it would be fun to keep the "R" thing going but I just haven't found a girl name that starts with R that I like. I wanted Rachel but my niece is already named Rachel and I don't want to make things confusing since girls on that side are few and far between as it is. I have an R boy name that I love - Raice, but my husband and kids don't like it and I can't think of a good middle name to go with it. I keep telling them that they will just have to like it because that is going to be the name if it is a boy. At the same time, I want my husband to agree on the name since it is his kid too. Oh man why is this so difficult??? I guess I'll be in the hospital flipping coins and asking every other person I see for suggestions! LOL!!!
Any ideas on how you all pick your kids names or name suggestions are greatly appreciated!!!!

5 comments:

James and Jamie Miller said...

I've always loved the name Raia for a girl. It's a hawaiian name.

Nina said...

On Seinfeld George liked the names Soda and Seven. :)

I wanted one of the names to have meaning to me wether it was the first or the middle... or both. I also wanted a name that I felt like represented Eric as well as myself. Like Davis is the school we went to. Kay is where we met. Tacoma is the model of truck Eric drove when we got together. I also liked a lot of names of sports players on Eric's teams.

I saw an interview with Kevin James (from King of Queens). He is a big Mets fan and he named his daughter Shea (the name of the stadium the Mets play at) I thought that was so cute! ...so I asked Eric to name our child. He picked a couple out. I had never heard the names before so it took a while for me to get used to them... but I absolutely love them now and love that Eric came up with them.

I also loved that Danny Warner and his drum line wife named their daughter Cadence.

Eric often calls his nieces Princess, so I considered using another languages word for princess. (nothing sounded good with that thought).

I also like the names: Davis, Hadley, Bailey, Kami, Mya... I'm having a hard time thinking of the rest that were on my list.

Have you considered using your maiden name as a middle name?

I keep my ears out for good "R" names, and let you know if I hear any that sound good.

Good luck :)

Nina said...

Kay as in Kaysville

famiLEE of 6 said...

Hi Barb... here are some
"R" names for GIRLS (I am voting for a girl)...
Rakayla, Ranelle, Ramya/Ramia, Randee, Raya, RayAnn, Rebecca, Regina, Renee/Renae, Rhylynne, Richelle.... Good luck!!!

Nina said...

I am wondering if you could send me a new invite to your blog. I changed my email address a while back and it has been a pain to have two different accounts. The emil address is phergette@gmail.com
Thanks :)