Monday, May 19, 2008






Well, we finally made it home from our vacation! I started the vacation out with my parents in Lynchburg, VA where I graduated from college. It was fun going through the whole process of the ceremony and walking. The famous Chuck Norris gave a great graduation speech and there were lots of musical numbers! All in all, it was a great experience! Then, we headed down to North Carolina where we got to visit with my cousin Shannon and her family and my cousin Kelly. North Carolina (and Virginia) is so beautiful! I thought Missouri was green but it is super green out there! We had a wonderful time relaxing with family and of course we got to play "May I". I think it only fair that I won since I was the graduate!

On Monday, we headed back up to Washington D.C. to pick up Randy. Since he had to attend his own graduation in Missouri he couldn't fly out until later. We spent Monday evening visiting Manasses, the battle grounds of the first battle of the Civil War. It was pretty cool to be at the site and see some of the monuments there. We then spent the next two days touring Washington D.C. It was a lot of walking and I'm surprised I made it! I think between the two days we easily walked at least 20 miles if not more! We got to see the White House, Lincoln monument, World War II monument, Washington Monument, The Smithsonian (some of it anyway), and the Holocaust Museum. There was so much to see that you could spend a whole week or more there just to see it all!

We then headed back down through Virginia to see Colonial Williamsburg, Jamestown, and Yorktown. This was also really fun! Each place was just a little different and featured sites during different time periods. Colonial Williamsburg was set during the times leading up to the Revolution. Many key things happened there that were instrumental in the Revolution. There were a lot of homes to visit and the workers dressed as the people did back during that time period and they spoke in character about the homes and the stories of the people during that time. In the evening they did reenactments at the town square and there was even a little band that played and marched down the street! I was a great experience and I learned so much!

In Jamestown, there was replications of the forts that the first settlers made who came to America and also replications of the boats that they came over on. That was pretty cool to see the things they had to do to survive in the beginning. Randy especially liked it because he got some great gardening tips!

Yorktown was the final authentic town that we visited. That was where the final battle of the Revolution took place. It was awesome to see the trenches that the soldiers had to dig were still there. I can't believe that through all these years they are still formed, even down to the spots where the cannons were placed in the trenches.

We finally finished out our vacation with a relaxing day at Virginia Beach! The weather was so perfect and it was so nice to just relax on the beach after a long day of walking! Of course we did have to do some more walking at the beach, but it wasn't too bad. I loved feeling the wind in my hair and the sand in my feet! It's too bad the water was freezing cold or would have swam a little bit! It was almost too much to even put your feet in!

Although we had so much fun, it is good to be home! I sure missed Rayden but I think he had so much fun with grandma Riddle that he didn't miss us much!

1 comment:

Sarah Jimenez said...

Hey cute prego lady! Sounds like a fun vacation for you two! Congrats again on graduating. I can't believe you flew all the way out there to walk, but that's awesome, you got to see lots of cool areas. Washington D.C. is one of my favorite places to visit, there is sooo much to do- and it's all free! Any luck with selling your house?