Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Cycle 2

Okay so we made it through cycle 1 of Chemo!!! Hurray!!!! At the end of the cycle Randy was hospitalized for 3 days because his neutrophils had taken a nose dive, leaving his immune system severely compromised!!! They finally decided to let him go home Saturday afternoon and told him to be careful and use common sense: wash hands, avoid being around sick people, wear a mask, etc. He was soooo glad to come home! He had to go in the next morning to the hospital here in town to have his blood drawn to check his levels. Miraculously they had gone up significantly from the day before!!! Yes!!!

Monday morning, we were orginally supposed to be in SLC for the start of cycle 2 but they delayed it because his blood levels were so low. So he called monday morning to give the Huntsman doctors the results and they were pleased with how well the numbers looked so they scheduled his next cycle for the next morning!!! So we rushed to get things together and headed up!! I was so relieved they didn't delay his treatment an entire week!!!

Cycle 2 started and the first two days went pretty good. However, by day 3, Randy was starting to feel the effects of the chemo and it wasn't the greatest of days. His veins were starting to get hard and it has been really difficult for the nurses to get the IV in. Some days they have had to poke him 2 or 3 times to try and get a good vein. This is so hard for me to sit and watch him endure the pain. In all our marriage he has never been one to hate needles but he is sure getting sick of them really quick. The exhaustion set in by about mid week and also his appetite has been non existent, and the nausea has kicked in. However, despite feeling rather crummy, he was able to get a lot of work done throughout the week while sitting in his recliner in infusion. I try to make it sound glamorous, but really after spending so many days there, we are utterly sick of the place. Although, this week was interesting because we were able to spend some time on each day chatting with some friends from Richfield who are great friends with Randy's parents.Their diagnosis is far less fortunate than Randy's and my heart goes out to them and their family. But it is nice to see a familiar face in such a gloomy place.

Friday, we celebrated our 11th anniversary in the infusion center! Out of all of our anniversaries, I think I will remember this one the most. It was actually kind of cool to sit there and look over the valley and see the Temple in the distance where we were sealed for all eternity. Never, since our wedding day, have we been back to the SLC Temple together and I have always wanted to go back. The only thing that would have made the day better was if we could've gone to the Temple. If Randy would've been feeling better I would've suggested it, but I didn't, knowing that if I would've suggested it, he would've gone despite how he felt. We were able to go to the Oquirh Mtn. Temple a week or two prior so I guess I will be grateful for that. But just seeing that beautiful Temple in the distance that morning, and being with Randy was enough to remind me of that special day 11 years ago. For not dating longer than a week before getting engaged, and spending our entire engagement 1,000 miles apart, I would say we have beat all the odds and done pretty well. Randy is such a special guy and I realize more and more each day how lucky I am to be his wife. He is so patient with me everyday and NEVER raises his voice at me or yells at me. He always is willing to wait on me hand and foot and never once complains when I ask him to do things. He is such a great Dad to our three beautiful children. He loves playing with them and teaching them every opportunity he can find. He is the best husband I could ever hope for. 

Okay, enough of my sappy love story. We eventually survived the long week and headed back home with a box of injections that Randy has to give to himself on certain days of his cycle to avoid having his white blood/neutrophils from nose diving. We are so glad about this for two reasons: we don't have to drive 4-5 hrs. for each shot, and he hopefully won't have to be hospitalized for the low blood levels!!! But it sucks he has to give himself a shot practically everyday. I couldn't do it. I don't know how he does it.

We were only home a couple days from his long week and had to turn around and head back up for his Tuesday infusion. I was really nervous about this one because I didn't know if he was going to get the high fever that he tends to get. So we got to the hospital and of course they had the hardest time getting his IV in. They drew his blood and we had to wait for the results before they could order his chemo. His blood results came back great so the shots must've helped!!! Hurray!!! But then we had to wait another hour or more for the pharmacy to bring up his chemo. Once it came, it was a quick 15 min. infusion. All the waiting is so exhausting.

The whole drive home I just kept waiting for the fever to hit. I felt like an over protective mom asking Randy every 5 min. if he felt okay. Honestly, the guy handles this all so great and doesn't complain about anything. If it were me I would be whining every second!!!

That night he didn't feel great, but the fever never came!! Nothing is worse than seeing him suffer with the high fever and chills and not knowing at what point do we call the hospital. I really did not want to have to take him to the ER again.

So here we are midweek of week 5 and half way through the chemo!!! Only 4 1/2 weeks to go!!! Somehow I have a feeling these next weeks to come are going to be more taxing on his body. It makes me grateful that he entered into this whole thing physically in the best shape he's been in in his life. I think it has helped him endure the side effects of the chemo so much better than others who aren't so great in taking care of their bodies.

Looking forward to having this chapter in my life behind me, but until then, we are going to keep fighting!

No comments: